Tuesday 5 July 2011

Raddish

I've never really had much luck with raddish. It always looks promising, but the root never seems to swell to a decent size. This year we are growing raddish in a plastic trough. We divided it into three sections and sprinkled some seed in each section at two week intervals. So we should have 6 weeks worth of raddishes.

The first lot of seeds are now a congregation of bushy leaves with the smallest pin head roots, seeing as this variety is supposed to mature in 21 days, it is almost 6 weeks now and nothing. Do I have a raddish curse? The third sowing are only 2 weeks old so are at the most basic stage of forming. However, the second sowing seem to be as far ahead if not further head than the first sowing, they have caught up nicely and really are beginning to overtake.

When inspecting them earlier today I spotted this thing..



A RADDISH!!

I couldn't believe it. I remember that even when I had the allotment I had little luck with raddishes, so to have one worth eating is a real bonus.

Amy loves raddish so this went down a treat.!! She could quite easily eat a whole bag full if they were in front of her, I always thought it was very strange because(..cough!) I don't really like raddish. But then again the feelings are reversed regards Beetroot!

We had a few more smaller raddishes, some salad leaves we have grown in a tub, some mange tout which we gently boiled, a few more small courgettes and some young spinach. With a freshly laid boiled egg, we had a nice homegrown salad yesterday night.



Delicious!
Enjoy the rest of your day!

Martin

P.S Don't forget that the first ever Our-Good-Life prize giveaway started yesterday. Work out the clues on the blog as they appear and you could win a gardening hamper worth over £20. You have to be in it to win it.
Click here for more details

6 comments:

  1. If you think you don't like radishes, try them roasted (sprinkle with olive oil and sea salt and put in oven) - it may change your mind.

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salad looks delicious, and all home grown too. I haven't grown any radish this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though they're meant to be easy for kids to grow, I have no luck with radish either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still got nothing from my garden! Only "fines herbes".
    Your salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your salad looks fresh and tasty.
    Glad you've had success with the radishes. Isn't it funny how some years are successful for some produce and not for others?

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all have a veg we struggle with. Mine was carrots for years but I seem to get a bit better at it each time. I still struggle with spring onions though...

    Next time try slicing the mangetout finely (remove any strings along the sides) and adding them to your salad raw - they're so fresh-tasting and delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to visit our blog! Please leave a comment we love reading every single one of them!